Where I’ve been:
I have (mostly) fond memories of my clothing and style in high-school & college. After graduation I got married, took a desk job, and gained weight. I no longer knew how to dress for my body or lifestyle, so I started buying mostly solid, neutral, “safe” clothes.
When my son was born, I started working from home. There didn’t seem to be any point in wearing nice clothes (they were just going to get spit-up on them), so I wore jeans & tees, if I bothered to get dressed at all.
About 2 years ago I discovered fashion blogs and I devoured all the information! Here’s a list of the ones I read regularly (and why I love them):
- Girl With Curves – Tanesha proves that you don’t have to be thin to be super fashionable – I bought my first pair of skinny jeans because of her.
- Greater Than Rubies – Caitlin is a pro at remixing her wardrobe – I love all the remixing challenges she hosts. She’s also super sweet and encouraging!
- Grown and Curvy Woman – Georgette’s colorful wardrobe is inspirational – I may never wear as many bright colors as she does but I love seeing her rock it! I bought my first maxi dress (in a bright raspberry color!) because of her – and she featured it on her blog!
- Hems For Her – Katie is another plus size blogger and man, she can rock a frock! She inspired me to start wearing skirts and dresses again.
- Putting Me Together – Audrey is the queen of remixing! I love all of her pointers and tutorials. I started wearing olive green because of her – now it’s my favorite neutral.
- My Closet Catalogue – Maricel is a fashion extrovert who inspires me to be brave with my choices! We have bonded over our mutual love of books, graphic tees, Doctor Who, and, of course, clothes.
And then I found Go Chic or Go Home, thanks to Audrey from PMT. The wonderful community there is so supportive and encouraging! I’ve been posting clothing and outfit photos there for well over a year – experimenting with different trends, and getting tons of helpful feedback.