Where I’m going:
As I rediscovered and developed my style, and got out of my “mommy rut”, I bought a lot of new clothes. I tried to be thoughtful and careful about what I bought, but I was still accumulating items that I wasn’t wearing often, and they were starting to stack up.
So, I decided to take stock of my closet:
- What types of pieces do I wear the most? Neutral, jewel tone, and pastel tanks, cardigans, button-downs. Patterned tops, solid bottoms (with my houndstooth skirt being the exception). Graphic tees.
- Why? I love to layer and pattern mix, but only on my top half. I like color on my lower half, but not pattern.
- Which pieces do I rarely wear? Bright colored anything (well, except purple). Patterned skirts (see above exception) / shorts (I never even ventured into patterned pants).
- Why? While I like to be unique, I don’t like to be loud. I’m an introvert at heart.
Then I determined how many of each type of piece I want to own. There were some areas where I really wanted to pare down (tank tops – I do wear them a lot, but an entire drawer full is ridiculous!) and other areas where I wanted to add (button-downs & cardigans – I told you I like to layer).
I got my final wardrobe count to a maximum of 65 pieces*. I’m going to work with that this year, and if I find that there are still pieces I’m not wearing, I’ll consider paring down even farther in 2015.
- 10 solid layering tanks (5 neutral, 5 colored)
- 5 button-downs (2 solid, 3 patterned)
- 5 dresses (1 LBD, 2 patterned, 2 solid)
- 7 graphic tees
- 4 long sleeve tops
- 4 skirts (1 patterned, 1 colored, 2 neutral)
- 5 pants (2 denim, 2 neutral, 1 colored)
- 5 shorts (1 neutral, 4 colored)
- 6 light weight cardigans (3 solid, 3 patterned)
- 10 short sleeve or sleeveless tops (2 neutral, 8 patterned)
- 4 “extras” (anything I want!)
I’ve already cleared out some of the old, added a few lovely pieces, and made a shopping list:
- Colored & patterned button-down. I’m thinking purple plaid.
- Neutral shorts. My denim pair are getting old, so I’d like to replace them with a grey, taupe, or olive pair.
- Sleeveless or short sleeve top in a neutral pattern. I really like this one, but it pulls a bit across the chest, even though it’s not too small.
- Neutral maxi skirt / dress. I love the 2 maxi dresses I have, but something neutral would give me more remixing options.
*This count does not include undergarments, pajamas / lounge wear, hosiery, accessories, or shoes.