Two weeks ago I did a Top Ten Tuesday about my favorite books from childhood. During the blog hop I discovered a post by Lisa is Busy Nerding where she wrote about her daughter’s current favorite books. I thought it was a great idea for a post.
Pumpkin Pie’s current favorites:
- The Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. He got a complete set of the Ramona books for Christmas – he actually hugged it and exclaimed, “I LOVE Ramona!”
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. We read these in order of publication, and that’s how they’re placed on our shelves, despite the reordered numbers on their spines.
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. We’re in the process of reading this now. He always wants to read the songs and actually sing them.
- A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. I read these aloud to him several years ago. It took over a year of bedtime readings to get through all 13, but he loved them. He has since read them all himself, as well as listening to the audio books countless times.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling. I’m confident he’ll love the entire series, but he’s only read the first book so far.
Sweet Potato’s current favorites:
- The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. After a viewing of the classic film, I read this aloud to her. We both agree that the Lion is our favorite character.
- The Bear Nobody Wanted by Janet and Allan Ahlberg. We just finished this as our bedtime read aloud. It was new to me, but I found it just as charming as the Ahlbergs’ picture books.
- Snowbound with Betsy by Carolyn Haywood. I remember my mother reading this to me, and I read it to both children over Christmas break. The first book in the series, B is for Betsy, is our current bedtime read aloud.
- The Mercy Watson series by Kate DiCamillo. She cannot get enough of Mercy’s silly antics!
- The Ladybug Girl series by David Soman and Jackie Davis. These are the ones she begs Pumpkin Pie to read to her, and he happily complies.