Today’s Top Ten Tuesday topic is Top Ten Books To Read If You Like This Super Popular Book/Author (ie: you could list 10 different popular/bestselling books or authors with readalike suggestions for each or give 10 books for one best-selling/popular book or author like 10 authors to read if you like John Green or ten books to read if you like Gone Girl. Idea is to give good readalikes that may be less well known).
I decided to take my Favorite Authors post and give you readalikes for each:
- Jane Austen. If you love Austen’s novel of manners, try Anthony Trollope’s Chronicles of Barsetshire.
- Agatha Christie. It’s hard to imagine running out of Christie’s works, but if it happens, try Dorothy L. Sayers’ Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane series.
- Suzanne Collins. If you love Collins’ strong heroine, but are sick of love triangles, try Garth Nix’s Abhorsen series.
- Charles Dickens. Dickens and his friend Wilkie Collins are both must reads!
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Can’t get enough of Sherlock Holmes? Try Nancy Springer’s Enola Holmes mysteries about his intrepid little sister.
- C. S. Lewis. Are plucky kids on magical adventures your favorite? Try Marianne Malone’s Sixty-Eight Rooms series. Bonus if you can visit the real rooms in Chicago!
- Robin McKinley. McKinley is the master of fairytale retellings and R. C. Lewis is following in her illustrious footsteps.
- L. M. Montgomery. Do you ever long for a modern Anne of Green Gables? Try Jeanne Birdsall’s Penderwick series.
- Lemony Snicket. If you love stories about precocious children, try Edward Ormondroyd’s Time at the Top and All In Good Time.
- J. R. R. Tolkien. Tolkien is the king of high fantasy, and T. H. White writes about King Arthur.