Today’s Top Ten Tuesday topic is “Ten Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don’t Get or Ten Characters I LOVE But Others Seem To Dislike.”
I struggled with this topic, so I’m tweaking it a little and giving you Characters I Love More Than the MC.
- Beth March from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. As a young girl, I closely identified with shy, homebody Beth and was a little intimidated by her tomboyish sister, MC Jo.
- Minho from The Maze Runner series by James Dashner. MC Thomas is perfectly nice, but snarky Minho is my book boyfriend! Please, please let there be more Minho in The Fever Code.
- Faramir from the Lord of the Rings series by J. R. R. Tolkien. I didn’t love his characterization in the films (the actor was fine, but Jackson changed the character), but he’s my all-time favorite from the series. He’s so honorable and tragic. Sigh.
- Fred & George Weasley from the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. Does anyone actually prefer whiny MC Harry?
- Eeyore from the Winnie-the-Pooh series by A. A. Milne. Eeyore is a lovable pessimist.
- The Disreputable Dog from the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix. Don’t get me wrong, I adore Sabriel and Lirael, but the Disreputable Dog is the best!
- Aunt Betsey Trotwood from David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. It is fairly likely that my love is partly due to Maggie Smith’s brilliantly hilarious portrayal in the 1999 mini-series.
- Puddleglum from The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis. My favorite character in all of the Chronicles of Narnia. Again, this could be due to Tom Baker’s pitch perfect portrayal in the 1990 mini-series.