Today’s Top Ten Tuesday topic is “Ten Books Every X Should Read (up to you! Examples: every history nerd, memoir lover, ballet lover, feminist, college student, etc etc.)”
I give you the Books Every Janeite Should Read:
- Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey, and Persuasion by Jane Austen. I don’t think you can properly call yourself a Janeite without reading all of her major works, right?
- Austenland by Shannon Hale. Be sure to catch the film too!
- Bridget Jones’ Diary by Helen Fielding. There are a bajillion P&P retellings, and this is the best.
- Jane Austen Cover to Cover: 200 Years of Classic Covers by Margaret C. Sullivan. So FUN!
- The Jane Austen Mysteries by Stephanie Barron. For those who love cozy mysteries.
- There Must be Murder by Margaret C. Sullivan. One of the best of the myriad sequels.
Some to avoid:
- The Trouble with Flirting by Claire LaZebnik. An abysmal Mansfield Park retelling.
- The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler. Blech.
- The Jaine Austen Mysteries by Laura Levine. The name is a hook that doesn’t deliver, and the mysteries are infuriating!
- This Side of Married by Rachel Pastan. The worst P&P retelling!